Early Career Events at EPI/NPAM 2013
- NPAM Annual Business Meeting & Networking Luncheon. (Wednesday, March 20 at Noon). A great opportunity to get caught up on activities related to NPAM Council's significant mission, and to meet some key leaders in the NPAM Council. During the second half of the luncheon the NPAM Early Career Committee is pleased to host a special presentation: "Pearls and Pitfalls of the Job Search: Tips for Deciding Which Type of Position is Right For You" presented by Peter W.F. Wilson, MD FAHA, Emory University, Atlanta, GA and Cheryl Anderson PhD MPH MS FAHA, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA. Tickets may be obtained when registering.
- Annual Fun Walk/Run (6:30 AM, Thursday, March 21) Join us for the third annual 5K fun walk/run open to all attendees regardless of fitness level. Walkers are welcome! T- Shirts sponsored by Nu-Tek Food Science
- Come back hungry from the fun walk/run and join us for a continental breakfast hosted by the Early Career Committees of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Fitness and the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. Both councils are proud to host a special session immediately following: Evolution of Primary Prevention. Can we move to Primordial Prevention? The Bogalusa Heart Study and Health Ahead/Heart Smart presented by Gerald Berenson, MD, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA.
- Connection Corner (March 21 and 22) Make sure to stop by Connection Corner (CC) during morning and afternoon breaks on Thursday and Friday. Connection Corner is an excellent networking opportunity for conference attendees (especially first-time attendees and junior investigators) to meet each other, senior investigators, and others involved in the Epidemiology and Prevention Council and Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism Council leadership. This year, Connection Corner will feature experts in various topics related to the oral session that immediately preceded allowing attendees the opportunity to continue the discussion on each topic
- Professional Development Roundtables (Thursday March 21 and Friday March 22 12 Noon). These sessions will be interactive and dynamic opportunities to discuss, share and learn! Boxed lunches will be provided but attendance is limited. Details
Professional Development Roundtables generously supported by Jenny Craig Operations, Inc.
o Thursday Study tables include a variety of investigators from several major studies to identify opportunities for data sharing, collaboration and mentorship. To allow for exposure to several studies we will be utilizing a “speed dating” format. This format will allow you approximately 20 minutes with up to three study investigators each day.
o Friday Tables are your chance to meet the experts on various topics of interest. Simply select the table/expert you wish to visit. You will stay at the table you select for the entire lunch period.
- The AHA Research Program and Opportunities for Early Career Investigators (Friday, March 22 at 7:30 AM) Presented by Mark Creager, MD, FAHA, Brigham And Women's Hospital, Boston, MA. Dr. Creager, as head of the AHA Research Committee will present information on AHA funding and grants specifically focused on the mechanisms of AHA funding.
- NEW! Preparing for Interactions With Media: How to Get the Attention and How to Handle it Featuring: David Goff, MD, PhD and Larry Appel, MD, MPH, FAHA. Friday, March 22, 12 noon. Boxed lunches will be provided but attendance is limited.