Why is this program important?
- Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in America – killing more people than all types of cancer combined – and stroke is the No. 4 cause.
- In the United States, someone has a coronary event every 25 seconds, and someone has a stroke every 40 seconds.
- Scientists are working to develop treatments, but research funding in the United States is declining at an alarming rate.
- The Science & Technology Accelerator is a translational science program created to help fill the void – bringing together scientific innovators with investors and clinical development experts, who can quickly move potentially lifesaving advances to the market
How does the program work?
- Candidates for investment are gathered from many sources.
- Each innovation undergoes initial screening by experts in the applicable field for scientific validity and potential for huge impact on outcomes.
- Surviving candidates then undergo full due diligence evaluation for both their scientific and commercial potential, including likelihood of repayment of investment.
- A committee of volunteer experts from multiple disciplines reviews the due diligence reports, selecting those innovations which will receive investment funds.
Anyone with the means and desire to donate to helping “game-changing” medical innovations reach market where they can significantly improve outcomes is welcome to donate to this “evergreen” investment fund, which is designed to recoup its investments for recycling in advancing additional innovations. Therefore, a donation to the Science & Technology Accelerator truly becomes a “gift that keeps on giving.” Donations of any size are welcome.
For more information about donations, contact donate2STA@heart.org.
The Accelerator Committee