Award submissions open from Feb. 22 - June 4, 2017
This lecture was established in 2006 to enhance the awareness of AHA conference attendees concerning the rising epidemic of cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. The lecture allows experts in the field to bring the latest basic, translational or clinical information to the AHA meeting. The lecture is named in honor of Dr. Donald Seldin, a pioneer and leader in the field of cardiovascular disease relate to kidney failure. Dr. Seldin was responsible for the seminal observations related to sodium and potassium transport in the kidney and their effects on blood pressure and cardiovascular homeostasis.
The Seldin Lecture is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate’s accomplishments in the field of cardiovascular disease as it relates to kidney failure, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
- Curriculum vitae, including biography
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will present a lecture at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions on a topic of his or her choice that will be of interest to the meeting attendees.
The honoree will also receive the following:
- Complimentary registration to the Scientific Sessions
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference
- One night's hotel stay at the conference
- All ground transportation expenses to attend the conference and up to $60 in subsistence on the day of the lecture presentation
- Presentation of an engraved plaque at the Awards Luncheon
- $1000 honorarium
2015 Moshe Levi, MD
2014 Alicia A. McDonough, PhD
2013 David Ellison, MD
2012 Susan Quaggin, MD
2011 Sharon Anderson, MD, FAHA
2010 Thomas R. Kleyman, MD, FAHA
2009 Roger Wiggins, MB, BChir
2008 Mark Knepper, MD, PhD
2007 Richard J. Johnson, MD, FACP
2006 Richard P. Lifton, MD, PhD, FAHA