Award submissions open from Feb. 22 - June 4, 2017Sponsored by the Council on Hypertension
The Lewis K. Dahl Memorial Lecture was established in 1988 by the Council for High Blood Pressure Research (now known as the Council on Hypertension) in honor of Dr. Dahl’s pioneering work on the relations between salt, the kidney and hypertension, and for establishing a major genetically based experimental model of hypertension (Dahl salt-sensitive rat).
The following is a list of Award Honorees
Current Awardee: 2016 Tianxin Yang, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 1988 Gerald F. DiBona, MD
- 1989 Ervin G. Erdos, MD
- 1990 John H. Laragh, MD
- 1991 Juan Carlos Romero, MD
- 1992 John E. Hall, MD
- 1993 Suzanne Oparil, MD
- 1994 Haralambos Gavras, MD
- 1995 Celso E. Gomez-Sanchez, MD
- 1996 Alberto Nasjletti, MD
- 1997 L. Gabriel Navar, PhD
- 1998 Richard J. Roman, PhD
- 1999 William B. Campbell, PhD
- 2000 Christopher S. Wilcox, MD, PhD
- 2001 Leopoldo Raij, MD
- 2002 Joey Granger, PhD
- 2003 Pedro A. Jose, MD, PhD
- 2004 Rhian M. Touyz, MD, PhD, MBBCH
- 2005 Jeffrey Garvin, PhD
- 2006 Christine Baylis, PhD
- 2007 Debra Diz, PhD
- 2008 Edward W. Inscho, PhD
- 2009 Christian Deschepper, MD
- 2010 Brian Morris, DSc, PhD
- 2011 Jane Reckelhoff, PhD
- 2012 Stephanie Watts, PhD
- 2013 David Pollock, PhD
- 2014 Bina Joe, PhD, FAHA
- 2015 Bernardo Rodriguez-Iturbe, MD
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate's accomplishments in the field of hypertension, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
- Curriculum vitae and bibliography of the candidate
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will present a lecture at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions on a topic of his or her choice that will be of interest to the meeting attendees.
The honoree will also receive the following:
- Complimentary registration to the Scientific Sessions
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference
- One night's hotel stay at the conference
- All ground transportation expenses to attend the conference and up to $60 in subsistence on the day of the lecture presentation
- Presentation of an engraved plaque at the Awards Luncheon
- $1000 honorarium
Nominations should be submitted as early as possible before the deadline.