Award submissions open from Feb. 22 - June 4, 2017
Sponsored by the Council on Hypertension
The Corcoran Lecture is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree from the field of hypertension.
This honorary lecture was established in 1977 in honor of Arthur Curtis Corcoran. Dr. Corcoran’s major achievement was his early application of clearance methods in both hypertensive patients and animals.
The following is a list of Award Honorees
Current Awardee: 2016 Karen Griffin, MD, FAHA
- 1977 Börje Johansson
- 1978 J. Ian S. Robertson, M.D.
- 1979 E. Eric Muirhead, M.D.
- 1980 Frederic Bartter, M.D.
- 1981 Bengt Samuelsson, M.D.
- 1982 Pierre L. Corvol, M.D.
- 1983 Michael S. Brown, M.D.
- Joseph L. Goldstein, M.D.
- 1984 Wai Yiu Cheung, Ph.D.
- 1985 Robert C. Tarazi, M.D.
- 1986 Robert J. Lefkowitz, M.D.
- 1987 Edgar Haber, M.D.
- 1988 Harriet P. Dustan, M.D.
- 1989 Aram V. Chobanian, M.D.
- 1990 Hugh E. deWardener, M.D.
- 1991 Detlev Ganten, M.D.
- 1992 Stevo Julius, M.D.
- 1993 Haralambos Gavras, M.D.
- 1994 Salvador Moncada, M.D. Ph.D.
- 1995 Masashi Yanagisawa, M.D. Ph.D.
- 1996 Edward D. Frohlich, M.D.
- 1997 Alberto Nasjletti, M.D.
- 1998 Suzanne Oparil, M.D.
- 1999 Norman K. Hollenberg, M.D.
- 2000 Friedrich Luft, M.D.
- 2001 L. Gabriel Navar, Ph.D.
- 2002 Gordon Williams, M.D.
- 2003 Willa A. Hsueh, M.D.
- 2004 Anna F. Dominczak, M.D.
- 2005 Carlos Ferrario, M.D.
- 2006 Thomas M. Coffman, M.D.
- 2007 Curt D. Sigmund, Ph.D.
- 2008 Gregory Fink, Ph.D.
- 2009 Toshiro Fujita, M.D.
- 2010 Timothy L. Reudelhuber, Ph.D.
- 2011 Jan Danser, Ph.D.
- 2012 Robin Davisson, PhD, FAHA
- 2013 Mohan Raizada, BSC, MSc, PhD
- 2014 Sadayoshi Ito, MD, PhD
- 2015 S. Ananth Karumanchi, MD
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate's accomplishments in the field of hypertension, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will present a lecture at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions on a topic of his or her choice that will be of interest to the meeting attendees.
The honoree will also receive the following:
- Complimentary registration
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference
- One night's hotel stay at the conference
- All ground transportation expenses to attend the conference and up to $60 in subsistence on the day of the lecture presentation
- Presentation of an engraved plaque at the Awards Luncheon
- $1000 honorarium