Editorial: Get With the Guidelines Advances Health Services and Outcomes Research by Paul Heidenreich, M.D., M.S.
Cholesterol Levels and In-hospital Mortality in Patients with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure
- In chronic heart failure (HF) lower total cholesterol levels have been associated with increased mortality.
- The relationship between lipid levels and outcomes in acute HF has not been studied.
Top Ten Things to Know | Abstract | Kjekshus J, Apetrei E, Barrios V, et al. Rosuvastatin in older patients with systolic heart failure. N Engl J Med 2007;357:2248-61. | 2009 Focused Update: ACCF/AHA Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Heart Failure in Adults
Quality of Care in Women With Ischemic Stroke in the GWTG Program
- Women have more adverse poststroke ischemic outcomes as compared to men.
- GWTG-Stroke researchers explore in-hopital sex-differences in quality of care.
Door-to-Balloon Times in Hospitals within the Get-With-The-Guidelines Registry after Initiation of the Door-to-Balloon (D2B) Alliance
- Door-to-balloon time is an important quality of care measure for hospitals performing primary PCI.
- The GWTG – CAD initiative positively impacts timely primary PCI in STEMI patients.
Top Ten Things to Know | Abstract | 2007 Focused Update of the ACC/AHA 2004 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction | ACC/AHA 2008 Performance Measures for Adults With ST-Elevation and Non–ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction | 2007 Focused Update of the ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- Krantz M, et al. The Influence of Hospital Length of Stay for Heart Failure on Quality of Care. Am J Cardiol 2008;102:1693–1697.
- Shah B, et al. Hospital Variation and Characteristics of ICD Implantation in Eligible Patients with Heart Failure: Data from the GWTG-HF Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009;53;416-422.
- Tamara Horwich, Adrian F Hernandez, David Dai, Clyde W Yancy, Gregg C Fonarow, MD, FACC. Cholesterol Levels and In-hospital Mortality in Patients with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Am Heart J 2008;156(6):1170-6.
- Lewis W, Fonarow G, LaBresh K, Cannon C, Pan W, Super D, Sorof S, Schwamm L. Differential Use of Warfarin for Secondary Stroke Prevention in Patients with Various Types of Atrial Fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 2009;103:227–231.
- Olenchock B, Fonarow G, Pan W, Hernandez A, Cannon C. Current Use of Beta-blockers in Patients with Reactive Airway Diseases Who Are Hospitalized with Acute Coronary Syndromes. Am J Cardiol 2009;103:295–300.
- Brown T. Predictors of Cardiac Rehabilitation Referral in Coronary Artery Disease Patients: Results from the AHA's Get With the Guidelines Program. JACC in press March 09