Fellowship provides a mean to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship; practice; and/or education; and volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. International members may be nominated for International Fellowship and may demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their countries.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level,
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA at any level for at least 2 years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive years,
- Be affiliated with the Council through which they are applying, and
- Have up-to-date dues.
Fellowship is reserved for Premium Professional members who are scientists, physicians, clinical professionals and academicians with a major and productive interest in nutrition, physical activity, obesity or diabetes, and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the AHA/ASA and the NPAM Council. The candidate must be able to demonstrate manifestation of continued interest and intention to remain active in any aspect of nutrition, physical activity, obesity or diabetes as evidenced by:
- Accomplishment of meritorious research in any aspect of nutrition, physical activity, obesity or diabetes.
- Published three or more first-author, peer-reviewed papers addressing fundamental scientific questions.
- Served in a faculty or investigative position for two or more years after completing training.
- Hold membership or fellowship in research or professional organizations.
- Significant volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to:
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walk, galas, etc.
- Education: Professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant volunteer service in similar organizations or societies in their respective counties or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
- December 1- 5:00 PM Central Time (Spring Review Cycle)
- July 1 - 5:00 PM (Fall Review Cycle)
- Please keep in mind that applications entered after the deadline times cannot be successfully submitted.
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA/ASA Fellow (up-to-date dues and print journal subscription [if applicable]) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues) who is acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer service. The proposer's membership need not be affiliated with the Council through which the application is submitted. Please follow the procedures below to apply for AHA/ASA Fellowship:
- Logon to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System. You will need your My.AmericanHeart for Professionals username and password to access the system.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted through the online system.
- Attach all required documentation. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted through the online system; required documents that must be submitted include:
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter should clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, must be written on business letterhead, and must be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable, and
- A clear head and shoulders photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected Fellows in Connections and the My.AmericanHeart.for Professionals web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Logon to the My.AmericanHeart for Professionals web site - you will need your username and password to sign in.
- Select Membership.
- Under Membership, select Membership Directory.
- Select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Nominating Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application via email in late February (spring review cycle) and late October (fall review cycle).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be recognized by the Council's Leadership and presented a certificate to commemorate this career achievement at the Annual Council Dinner held during the Annual NPAM/EPI Scientific Sessions (spring review cycle) and the AHA Scientific Sessions (fall review cycle).
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
AHA/ASA Fellows elected through the NPAM Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293