Fellowship provides a means to recognize outstanding contributions to the field and volunteer leadership and service within the American Heart Association and is reserved for physicians, medical scientists and researchers who excel in the fields within the council's interests and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the American Heart Association.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must have been an active Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus member of the AHA affiliated with the KCVD Council for at least two years; and membership must be current (dues up to date) at the time of application.
The criteria are established by the KCVD Leadership Committee in concert with the AHA’s Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee. Candidates must be able meet each of the criteria as defined. The candidate must:
- Be able to show significant, independent contributions in the field of basic, clinical epidemiological hypertension, nephrology, and vascular biology research or in relevant basic sciences.
- Domestic candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service to the AHA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (HeartWalk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note: Attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Session or other AHA sponsored conference is not considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The KCVD Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be received through the Council Awards Application System by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on January 10 for the spring review cycle and by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on June 1 for the fall review cycle. Applications received after the deadline dates will be held until the next review cycle.
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA Fellow (dues up-to-date) who is affiliated with the KCVD Council and IS well acquainted with your current professional activities. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues and subscribing to the print journal. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
o An up-to-date curriculum vitae
o Complete bibliography
o A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must be written on business letterhead, signed by the proposer, and clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria.
o Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission of a photograph is optional and may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and my.americanheart.org web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
1. Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
2. Select Membership.
3. Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
4. Select Council.
5. Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are reviewed by the Membership/Communications Committee and a slate containing the names of candidates that meet the criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Elected Fellows will receive a certificates of Fellowship following the Leadership Committee meetings.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the KCVD Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293