Fellowship recognizes outstanding and sustained scientific contributions in hypertension and cardiovascular disease and volunteer leadership and service to the American Heart Association. Fellowship is open to scientists and physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals with a major and productive interest in hypertension.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must have been an active Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus member of the AHA affiliated with the Council on Hypertension for at least two years; and membership must be current (dues up to date) at the time of application.
The criteria are established by the Council on Hypertension Leadership Committee in concert with the AHA’s Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee. Candidates must be able meet each of the criteria as defined. The criteria for election to International Fellowship are equivalent to those described for Fellows. The candidate must:
- Must show outstanding contributions in basic, clinical or epidemiological hypertension research or in relevant basic sciences.
- Corporate professionals must have made contributions through outstanding basic or clinical research or outstanding corporate contributions to hypertension or heart research.
- Must demonstrate significant and current volunteer service contributions to the American Heart Association:
- Domestic candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service to the AHA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (HeartWalk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Application Submission and DeadlinesThe Council on Hypertension considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be received through the Council Awards Application System by:
March 1 (For Spring Cycle Review)
June 10 (For Fall Review Cycle)
Applications must be received by 5:00pm Central Time. Applications received after the deadline dates will be held until the next review cycle.
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA Fellow (dues and print subscription to the Hypertension journal up-to-date) who is affiliated with the HBPR Council and well acquainted with your current professional activities. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues and subscribing to the print journal. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Complete bibliography
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must be written on business letterhead, signed by the proposer, and clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission of a photograph is optional and may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and my.americanheart.org web sit
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
- Select Membership.
- Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are reviewed by the Nominating Committee and a slate containing the names of candidates that meet the criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Elected Fellows will be acknowledged at the Council’s Annual Dinner held during the HBPR Annual Conference. Certificates of Fellowship are distributed following the Leadership Committee meetings.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the HTN Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Beginning in 2016, Hypertension FAHAs are no longer required to take the print subscription to the Hypertension journal for FAHA status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship DeskEmail: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-129