The AHA/ASA Professional Membership offers five levels, each of which receive the basic benefits of membership, plus the corresponding benefits package:
Receive the highest level of member benefits and involvement
Desire to be involved at a significant level
Completed training within last four years, and/or
1 Council **
Still in training as an undergraduate, graduate or postdoctoral/clinical fellow
1 Council **
*Premium Professionals Plus and Premium Professionals may choose a 3rd council for an additional $60 per year
**Early Career and Student/Trainee may choose a 2nd council for an additional $50 per year
Basic Benefits- All AHA/ASA Professional Members receive the basic benefits.
- Notice on research submission opportunities and requests for abstracts
- Special opportunities to volunteer to become a peer reviewer of manuscripts, research applications and abstract s for meetings
- Connections quarterly newsletter, including council-specific information
- Connect to your growing Professional Online Network
- Early notice of AHA/ASA scientific meetings
- Inclusion in and access to the online AHA/ASA Professional Membership Directory
- Complimentary You’re the Cure Advocacy Newsletter
- Special briefing on legislative and regulatory issues to members who participate in AHA Lobby Day in Washington, D.C.
- Ability to help develop legislative policy and participate in advocacy programs
- Notification about AHA national and affiliate research funding opportunities and deadlines
- AHA/ASA Professional Membership card (certificate and lapel pin upon request)
- Become involved in ourScientific Councils and serve on various committees that fit your area of expertise.
- Be a part of the esteemed American Heart Association Fellowship (FAHA)
- Find or become a mentor For a complete listing of benefits, go to my.americanheart.org, click on Member Services and then on the Benefits link.
Premium Professional Plus, Premium Professional, Student/Trainee and Early Career Members can also receive:
- Scientific Journals Discounts
- Up to 44% savings on print versions of the AHA scientific journals
- 20% savings on a robust selection of LWW journals
- AHA Learning Library
Accessible through my.americanheart.org, Premium Professional Plus and Premium Professional Members can find the following online resources. (Early Career and Student/Trainee Members can pay an additional $84/year for full access to the Learning Library.)
- All 11 AHA Scientific Journals (Full Text) for Premium Professional Plus members; 7 of the 11 journals for Premium Professional members
- New membership benefit! Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA) New Open Access journal—online only, peer reviewed. Members save $500 in publication fees with discount code.
- The AHA research grant application fee effective for the current application deadlines will be waived for members. You can apply at my.americanheart.org/research
- Editorial Commentaries
- Clinical Updates
- Journals the member chooses
- Scientific Meetings Discounts
- Scientific Sessions – save up to $400‡*
- Significant savings on registration for International Stroke Conference and other AHA/ASA scientific meetings – up to $300‡
- Free access to all Science OnDemandSM products
*benefits vary by tier and professional discipline
‡Discount dependent on membership tier
- “Members Only” Positions – Opportunity to serve as National Science Officers, board members, committee members, Council officers, subcommittee members and journal editors.
- Mentoring – Opportunity to share and receive years of experience and knowledge from members who are well established in their field of expertise.
- Emeritus Criteria – What you need from the AHA may evolve, but you can count on the AHA Professional Membership to keep you connected to your profession, while taking advantage of exclusive products and services.
Beginning July 2010, Emeritus membership is reserved for individuals who have been American Heart Association Professional Members five or more years (at least five of which were successive), have reached the age of 67 and have fully retired.
New Emeritus Criteria:
- Active Premium Professional Member for the past five years without interruption
- Attained the age of 67 years old at the time the request is submitted
- Retired at the time the request is submitted
- Though the new criteria will become effective July 1, we will honor the current criteria through Sept. 30. If you meet these requirements and would like to request a change in your membership status, send a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.