COMMISSION OF SCIENTIFIC
COUNCIL LEADERSHIP COMMITTEE
NUMBER OF MEMBERS:
Nominations for Leadership Committee officers and members of the Leadership Committee are solicited from the Scientific Council general membership. Nominations are forwarded to an ad-hoc Nominating Committee, chaired by the Immediate Past Chair of the Scientific Council, for election at the Scientific Council's membership at their Annual Business Meeting.
TERM OF OFFICE:
Term shall be for two years unless otherwise specified. Terms shall be staggered to insure continuity. Members may be re-elected for one term.
FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS:
The committee may meet face-to-face once per year. Additional meetings, via teleconference or face to face, may be arranged according to the schedule provided for Leadership meetings.
To conduct the affairs of the Scientific Council in the intervals between regular meetings and carry out the objectives within the policies of the AHA.
- Provide input into the AHA's science positions as they relate to the Scientific Council’s given field of cardiovascular interest; guide and direct the Councils programs; anticipate and appraise areas of developing relevance to the Council's objectives and programs; develop recommendations for needed activities in the areas of science, medicine and research interests, and topics for conferences which the Scientific Council believes the AHA should address over the next three-to-five (3-5) years.
- Identify members to serve on writing groups for Scientific Statements, advisories, and guidelines and to review journal articles, serve as journal editors and editorial board members.
- Provide input into community education and patient education programs.
- Explore and provide opportunities for early career investigators to interact/mentor with others in their field of interest.
- Involve the Council in Association-wide strategic planning.
- Provide nominations to SACC for AHA Officers, Board and National committee members and awards.
- Maintain ongoing, open communications and interaction with the Council Operations Committee to ensure appropriate fiscal oversight and decision making based on available funds.
- Partner with the Council Operations Committee to identify methods to increase the membership when appropriate and to increase the participation of current members in Council and AHA activities including the activities of the Affiliates and divisions.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Council Membership Marketing Communications Committee, which is responsible for facilitating communication of science via: the Council’s web page; Membership home page, etc. (See the commission for the Council’s Membership, Marketing and Communications Committee. Provide oversight and guidance to the Council Program Committee which is responsible for all professional learning activity relevant to the Council’s discipline. (See commission for the Program Committee). The Council Program Committee as a group is responsible for providing strategic direction to AHA for scientific, clinical and other professional content relevant to their council’s specific discipline areas. In addition, the Council Program Committee creates and/or supports the development of this content, provides review and assures its accuracy and currency. The typical channels or venues for this content include but are not limited to: AHA Scientific Sessions, AHA Specialty Meetings, other AHA meetings, programs or events (both live and on-line), accredited continuing education and certification activities and another other AHA activities where professional learning occurs.
- This committee should know about and provide input to all science and AHA departments which are conducting any learning related to their discipline, and help with greater dissemination and ownership.
Reports to the Chairman of each Council Leadership Committee and reports to the Science Advisory & Coordinating Committee (SACC).
Approved by the AHA Board of Directors, February 22, 2002.
Revised by COC/SACC, June 22, 2005
Revised and approved by Council Operations Committee (COC), May 6, 2010
Approved by Science Advisory Coordinating Committee June 23, 2010
Approved by Council Operations Committee January 14, 2015
Approved by Science Advisory Coordinating Committee February 18, 2015