Fellowship provides a mean to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education; and volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. Foreign members may apply for International Fellowship and may demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their countries.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the eligibility requirements. The system will validate that the candidate meets the eligibility on the deadline date; failure to meet either of these requirements will result in the application being disqualified:
- Must have been an AHA member for at least 2-years, the 2-year membership need not be consecutive.
- Membership must be at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level at the time of application.
- Membership must be up-to-date (dues up-to-date) at the time of application.
- Membership must be affiliated with the Council to which the application is being submitted (primary, secondary or tertiary council).
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate outstanding contributions to the field of cardiovascular and interventional radiology through practice, research and/or education.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate an interest to remain active in cardiovascular and interventional radiology.
- Domestic candidates must be able to demonstrate significant current ando/or past volunteer service and leadership to the AHA at the local, affiliate and/or national levels(s), including but not limited to:
- Active participation as members and chairpersons of AHA and/or CVRI committees, boards and task forces at the local, affiliate, and/or national level;
- Development and Fundraising (HeartWalk, galas, Go Red fund raisers, etc.); leadership roles such as organizing Heart Walk teams, raising funds, promoting AHA events and recruiting others to participate;
- Advocacy efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels;
- Professional and lay education programs including serving as an invited speaker, participating in a local AHA speakers bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines;
- Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
The CVRI Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be received through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System by the following deadline dates; applications cannot be successfully submitted after the deadlines:
- Spring Review Cycle: January 30 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time
- Fall Review Cycle: July 1 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA Fellow (Fellow, International Fellow or Emeritus Fellow) who is well acquainted with the your current professional activities and AHA/international volunteer experience. To apply for FAHA, please:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted. The system will validate that the documents have been uploaded on the deadline date; however, it cannot validate that the document meets the criteria. We caution you - please DO NOT attach a dummy document in order to successfully submit the application. Applications submitted with dummy documents will be disqualified by the Review Committee:
- Complete curriculum vitae including bibliography;
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must be written on business letterhead, signed by the proposer, and must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria; and
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission of a photograph is optional and may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and my.americanheart.org web site.
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
1. Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
2. Select Membership.
3. Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
4. Select Council.
5. Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Fellowship applications are reviewed by the CVRI Nominating Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and all criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application in mid-late April (spring review) and prior to the Scientific Sessions (fall review).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
The names of newly elected Fellows will be published on the Council's FAHA web page and in Council Connections, the scientific councils' quarterly newsletter. We strongly encourage newly elected FAHAs to attend the Annual Council Dinner during the year of election, where you will be acknowledged and recognized for this outstanding career achievement.
In addition to Premium Professional membership benefits; AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 X 11" certificate suitable for framing to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference and other AHA/ASA sponsored conferences.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
AHA Fellows elected through the CVRI Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293