Fellowship recognizes outstanding contributions in cardiovascular and stroke nursing and health, and volunteer leadership and service within the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must:
Who Can Nominate
- Must be an active member (dues up-to-date) at the Premium Professonal or Premium Professional Plus level at the time the nomination is submitted.
- Must have been an AHA member for at least two years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive.
- Membership must be affiliated with the CVSN Council.
Any active Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA) who is well acquainted with the candidate’s professional activities can initiate the nomination process. Self-nominations are unacceptable.Criteria
The CVSN Council reserves Fellowship for members who have made meritorious contributions to cardiovascular and stroke nursing through practice, research, and/or education; and who have actively supported the AHA/ASA through volunteer service. Nominees must be able meet each of the criteria as defined:
Nomination Submission and Deadline
- Must be able to demonstrate meritorious contributions to cardiovascular nursing through practice, research, and/or education that are recognized on a national level. Examples include but are not limited to: practice accomplishments, guideline development, patient education innovations, publishing in peer reviewed journals, conducting research, grant funding and peer review, leadership in cardiovascular and stroke nursing, leadership in interdisciplinary research, education and practice.
- Must be able to show significant and current volunteer service to the AHA/ASA:
- Domestic candidates must show evidence AHA volunteer involvement and service through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to:
- Active participation as members and chairpersons of AHA and/or CVSN committees, boards and task forces at the local, affiliate, and/or national level;
- Development and Fundraising (HeartWalk, galas, Go Red fund raisers, etc.); leadership roles such as organizing Heart Walk teams, raising funds, promoting AHA events and recruiting others to participate;
- Advocacy efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels;
- Professional and lay education programs including serving as an invited speaker, participating in a local AHA speakers bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines;
- Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/ associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note: Attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Sessions or other AHA sponsored conference may be considered as scholarly contributions but not AHA/ASA volunteer service.
Nominations must be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System
and received by 5 p.m. on June 15 or earlier. Nominations received after this date cannot be successfully submitted.How to Nominate
The Nominator and candidate must work together to complete the online application as the system will allow only one person to access the application and upload the required supporting documents. Please follow the procedures below to complete the online Fellowship application:
Review and Election Process
- Log on to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae with a list of publications (if applicable). Please list publications in the following order: data based journal articles, literature reviews, book chapters, abstracts and other.
- A statement from the candidate that describes the impact of his/her contributions on cardiovascular nursing practice, research/scholarship and education.
- One (1) letter of endorsement: letter from the nominator who must be an active FAHA and must be written on business letterhead, signed by the nominator, and must clearly articulate the how the candidate meets each of the criteria.
- Head and shoulder photograph; the photograph may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and my.americanheart.org web site.
The Nominating Committee reviews each nomination to insure the requirements and criteria are met and submits a slate of approved candidates to the Leadership Committee for approval at its fall meeting. The Leadership Committee acts on recommendations to formulate a ballot, which is then forwarded to the active Fellows of the CVSN Council for election. Elected Fellows will be recognized and presented a Fellowship certificate at the Council's Annual Dinner held during Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association in November. Newly elected FAHAs are strongly encouraged to attend the Annual Dinner.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA Fellows are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues.
Locate active AHA Members and Fellows
View the active AHA/ASA members and Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
- Select Membership.
- Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293