Fellowship provides a mean to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education, and volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. International members may be nominated for International Fellowship and may demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their own countries.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Must be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Dues must be are up-to-date.
- Must be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Must have been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
Fellowship in the CVDY Council is reserved for physicians and medical scientists are board certified in CV Disease, and who have demonstrated excellence, innovation and leadership in cardiovascular diseases in the young in the private practice and academic setting, and who have actively supported the AHA/ASA through volunteer service. Members who permanently reside outside the United States and Canada may be nominated for International Fellowship. Candidates must be able meet each of the criteria:
- Have Board certification and competence in clinical practice are necessary for election to Fellowship. In exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the Leadership Committee, Fellowship may be granted to an individual who does not have subspecialty boards in cardiovascular disease. Candidates without subspecialty board certification must have equivalent credentials which are adequately documented in letters by the Proposer.
- Be recognized by peers as a competent physician consultant in cardiovascular disease who holds self to the highest ethical standards of professional behavior.
- Significant current and/or past volunteer service and/or leadership to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service to the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement in at the AHA/ASA national, council, affiliate and/or local level(s), including but not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walks, galas, etc.
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
1. Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
2. Select Membership.
3. Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
4. Select Council.
5. Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Application Submission Deadlines
The CVDY Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- February 28 -5:00 p.m. Central Time (spring review cycle)
- June 15 - 5:00 p.m. Central time (fall review cycle)
- Applications entered after the deadline cannot be successfully submitted.
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including complete bibliography or list of publications.
- A letter of recommendation from the proposer. The letter must clearly articulate the how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and signed by the proposer (electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph; the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected FAHAs in Connections and my.americanheart.org web site.
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Nominating Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application via email in late April (spring review cycle) and October (fall review cycle).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be acknowledged at the Annual Council Dinner held during the Scientific Sessions. Newly elected FAHAs are strongly encouraged to attend this event.
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA//ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the CVDY Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293