The American Heart Association’s Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY) is proud to sponsor the CVDY Visiting Professor for Career Development Award. This sponsorship will facilitate in-depth, educationally focused visits by prominent experts in pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular medicine. The visiting professorship encourages mentorship and academic development of pediatric cardiology fellows and faculty who are early in their academic careers at the host institution.
Who Should Apply
Pediatric cardiology programs in the United States with or without pediatric cardiology fellowships are eligible to apply. General pediatric programs without divisions of pediatric cardiology are also welcome to apply. The chief of the pediatric cardiology division or pediatric department should serve as the “host” of the visiting professor and the visit. The divisions of pediatric cardiology that apply should be those divisions/ departments that do not typically have the opportunity to bring in prominent experts in the field of pediatric cardiovascular medicine to their institution. The host may choose a visiting professor from the United States or abroad. The visiting professor should be a regionally, nationally or internationally noted figure.
- A visiting professor should only receive one honorarium a year.
- An institution may not have a visiting professor in two consecutive years.
Two awards are available per year. The award provides an honorarium of $1,000 to the Visiting Professor and up to $1,500 for travel and other expenses. The duration of the program should be two days. Academic development is an essential component of the visit and the major focus of this award.
How to Apply
Apply by sending the following to Dena Thomas. Grant recipients are chosen by the CVDY Early Career & Mentoring Committee. Each application is reviewed carefully by all members of the committee, and up to two applications are chosen for the award each year.
The application must include:
- The host’s and the visiting professor’s curriculum vitae.
- A letter signed by the proposed visiting professor affirming acceptance of the “invitation”.
- Two- to four-page statement (not more than 1000 words) by the host institution addressing the following points:
- The specific needs, aims and goals of the division or department in having this visiting professor speak.
- How does this visiting professor advance the aims of the division/department?
- Proposed agenda of the two-day visit.
- Specify the people at the host institution that will be exposed to the visiting professor. Please include approximate number of fellows, junior faculty, senior level faculty, medical students, and residents who will individually meet the visiting professor and others involved in the visit.
- Nationally Competitive
- Deadline for applications is June 15, 2015
- Awards announced at the Annual CVDY Dinner at AHA Scientific Sessions
For more information please contact
Manager, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY)
American Heart Association