To be eligible for consideration for AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for at least 2-years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- AHA/ASA Membership is affiliated with the Council on Clinical Cardiology.
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the Council on Clinical is Fellowship is generally reserved for physicians and scientists who are board certified in cardiovascular disease. In exceptional circumstance and at the discretion of the Leadership Committee, Fellowship may be granted to individuals who do not have subspecialty boards in cardiovascular disease. Candidates must be able to demonstrate ongoing interest and contributions after completing training through research, education or patient care; and must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Must be continually active in the practice of cardiology or in scientific or educational work bearing directly on cardiology.
Must be board certified in cardiovascular disease.
- Must be of good character, ethical in his or her practice and have good standing in the community.
- Must be recognized by peers as a competent physician consultant in cardiovascular disease who holds the highest ethical standards of professional behavior.
- Must be able to demonstrate significant current and/or past volunteer service to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement at the National, Council, Affiliate and/or local level, including but not limited to:
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in HeartWalks, galas, etc.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants
- Should be certified by the appropriate cardiovascular certification organization of the country in which they received their cardiovascular training or by a similar organization in their country of residence if such an organization exists. Candidates without subspecialty board certification must have credentials equivalent to U.S. or Canadian subspecialty board certification that may include overseas credentialing with comparable academic credentials.
- Must be able to show outstanding scholastic or academic achievement, and national and international recognition as a cardiologist or cardiovascular scientist.
- Must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those outlined for Domestic Fellows.
Please note: Membership in AHA or other societies, and attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Session or other AHA/ASA sponsored conference is not considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The Council on Clinical Cardiology considers applications for AHA/ASA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
January 10 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time (spring review cycle)
July 10 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time (fall review cycle)
Applications entered after the deadline date/time cannot not be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) affiliated with any AHA Council who are well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Use your My.AmericanHeart for Professionals to logon to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- Complete bibliography
- One (1) letter of recommendations from an active AHA Fellow.The letter must be written on business letterhead, be signed by the proposer, and must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
- Select Membership.
- Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Membership Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application prior in late April (spring review) and prior to the Scientific Sessions (fall review).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be acknowledged at the Annual Council Dinner held during the AHA Scientific Sessions; we strongly encourage newly elected FAHAs to attend this event. Fellowship certificate will be mailed after the Leadership Committee meetings (spring review cycle) and after Scientific Sessions (fall review cycle).
In addition to Premium Professional membership benefits; AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 X 11" certificate suitable for framing to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference and other AHA/ASA sponsored conferences.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/FAHA Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the Council on Clinical Cardiology are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rendering your FAHA status inactive.
Beginning in 2016, CLCD FAHAs are no longer required to take the print subscription to Circulation or Circulation Research for FAHA status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293