- All recipients of travel grants sponsored by an AHA scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at the time of application. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Winners are not eligible to receive a grant for the same award in subsequent years.
- Each recipient of AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award each year per AHA scientific meeting. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel stipend for the same meeting.)
The following additional criteria apply to the ATVB Merit Travel Awards for Young Investigators, the BCVS Abstract Travel Awards, the 3CPR Junior Investigator Travel Stipends, the CVSN Early Career Investigator Travel Stipends,the CVRI Early Career Investigator Travel Stipends and the FGTB Abstract Travel Awards:
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Eligible recipients must be undergraduates, pre-doctoral students, early career investigators, or trainees. (Please see each specific award page for exact criteria.) Early career investigators are Ph.D.s and/or M.D.s still in training (i.e., residency, fellowship, etc.) or have completed training within the last four years; or Ph.D.s and/or M.D.s still within in the first four years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- Eligible recipients must have submitted an abstract to the AHA Scientific Sessions by the abstract submission deadline each year and before an travel grant application can be completed. The abstract must comply with the Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the Committee on Scientific Sessions Program. Please visit Scientific Sessions to submit an abstract before submitting a travel stipend application.
- The abstract must be accepted and presented by the applicant at the AHA Scientific Sessions.
- Applicants may only be considered for a council's travel grant if the abstract is submitted to a category primarily sponsored by that council. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions abstract categories, their sponsoring councils and affiliated travel stipends.
- An abstract presenter/first author is eligible to receive only one travel stipend, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
Selection of the awardees for travel awards can be based on scientific excellence (score) of an abstract submitted to Scientific Sessions, curriculum vitae, letters of recommendation, or a combination of these.
AHA Travel Awards provide travel assistance to AHA meetings in the form of stipends; some awards provide additional prizes. Please visit the Web pages below to learn more about specific prize information.
How to Apply
All applicants for awards associated with the AHA Scientific Sessions in November must submit applications through the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System.
A username and password set up through online registration at My.AmericanHeart for Professionals will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for these awards. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than four days before the application deadline for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
Please see the individual award information pages below for specific documents required when submitting an application file.
Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences
Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation
|Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing|
Application deadline: Aug. 9, 2013
Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention
Council on Functional Genomics and Translational Biology