Application Deadline- Monday, Aug.11, 2015
The Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation (3CPR) and Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) Councils are offering a $1,000 travel stipend. The $1,000 award is expected to support travel and hotel for Cardiovascular Nursing Clinical Symposium during the November Sessions. Awardees are encouraged to consider registering for AHA Scientific Sessions as well, but registration for Sessions is not included as a complimentary item.
Eligibility CriteriaAll applicants for the Travel Stipend must be members of the American Heart Association with primary affiliation to the CVSN Council or 3CPR Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than Aug. 13 for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA/ASA Professional Membership.
Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. Applicants must represent nursing, by meeting the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a full-time employee as a Registered Nurse (RN), as noted in the application form and confirmed in the letter of recommendation
- Applicant must be involved in the care of patients with pulmonary hypertension.
Applicants must submit an application packet by the award deadline that includes the following three items:
- Application form
- Letter of recommendation.
Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
Through the brief personal statement on the application form, CV and letter of recommendation, the applicant should demonstrate prior and current interest/commitment to the care of patients with pulmonary hypertension. The goal of this Travel Stipend is to encourage attendance at the Cardiovascular Clinical Nursing Symposium and AHA Scientific Sessions. Applicants who have previously not attended the Cardiovascular Nursing Clinical Symposium or Scientific Sessions meetings are particularly encouraged to apply.
Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
There are no citizenship requirements.
The application will be judged by a panel of AHA volunteers from the Cardiovascular Nursing Clinical Symposium Planning Committee. Criteria include:
- Demonstrated commitment and interest in the care of patients with pulmonary hypertension.
- Applicant’s potential to make an impact in the care of patients.
- Applicant’s record of accomplishments, as evidenced in CV by length and type of service, awards, etc.
How to Apply/ Required Documents:
Applications should be submitted though the Council Awards System. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted. Application submission will open on April 7, 2015.
Your application file should contain the following documents in electronic format (preferably PDF)
- Completed application form.
- Updated CV containing at least the following elements (if applicable):
- employment history
- presentations or lectures
- publications/articles/book chapters.
- Letter (maximum length 1 page) on appropriate letterhead from the referent with signature, including at least:
- verification that applicant is a full-time RN
- relationship of referent to the applicant
- referent’s opinion as to the potential of the applicant to make an impact in future work surrounding care of the patient with pulmonary hypertension
- referent’s knowledge of prior accomplishments of applicant in the domain of pulmonary hypertension. No additional references are required.
AHA Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than Aug. 6 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
20 winners will each receive $1,000 travel stipend to use to help defray their travel costs to attend Cardiovascular Nursing Clinical Symposium and Scientific Sessions.
For questions, please contact:
Awards & Lectures Manager, Professional Memberships
Phone: (214) 706-1181