Scott Grundy Fellowship Award for Excellence in Metabolism Research
Applicants must submit abstracts to the Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2013 Scientific Sessions, scheduled for March 19-22, 2013 in New Orleans, LA.
- Abstract Deadline: Oct. 8, 2012
- Award Application Deadline: Oct. 8, 2012
Dr. Scott Grundy is a distinguished leader in the metabolic determinants of atherosclerosis. His research interests have included obesity, lipoproteins, genetics, nutrition, lifestyle and pharmacotherapy. He has been active in the development and promulgation of guidelines, consensus statements, expert panel statements and task force summaries, all of which have been instrumental in guiding prevention and treatment efforts for cardiovascular disease.
The Fellowship Award for Excellence in Metabolism Research recognizes three outstanding abstracts submitted by young investigators to the Spring Meeting of the Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Council of the American Heart Association. Up to three awards will be given for the abstracts achieving the highest average scores of all abstracts submitted in the categories of Diabetes/Metabolic Syndrome, Lipids/Lipoproteins, Metabolism, and Obesity. Acceptable entries for consideration include broad categories of study designs, including human or laboratory-based research, small metabolic studies, small clinical trials, and population-based studies. The awardees will be formally recognized by the council dinner during the meeting.
- All applicants must be members of AHA.
- The applicant must be in a post-doctoral fellowship, junior faculty position, instructor or assistant professor or equivalent position. (Investigators with more than five full-time years of post-training research faculty experience are not eligible.)
- Applicants may submit only one abstract for consideration for the award.
- The applicant must be the first and presenting author of the abstract.
- The work must not have been previously presented or published in any form.
- Winners are not eligible to reenter the competition in subsequent years.
- Winners of this award are not eligible to receive cash compensation from another award during the joint EPI/NPAM conference.
How to Apply
- By 5 p.m. CDT, Oct. 8, 2012, submit an abstract to one of the following categories of the NPAM conference:
- Diabetes/Metabolic Syndrome
- Select the award during the abstract submission process.
- Upload required documents as instructed including:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of recommendation