The purpose of this solicitation is to encourage minority early career investigators and students to participate in the Basic Cardiovascular Sciences Conference 2010: Technological and Conceptual Advances in Cardiovascular Disease. Although preference will be given to investigators and trainees with a successful research abstract, no research abstract is required for consideration.
Ten competitive awards of $500 each will be presented to qualified applicants:
- The candidate must hold an academic (or equivalent) rank below associate professor (e.g., assistant professors, instructors, postdocs, fellows, and students).
- The applicant must be conducting basic science research in the field of cardiovascular disease.
- The work may not have been presented or published before the conference.
- The candidate must be a minority by the standard NIH definition: He or she belongs to a minority group that is underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral science careers, based on their minority group’s representation in the total population. This includes Blacks, Hispanics, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander. Asians are not considered to be an underrepresented minority.
- The candidate may not apply for more than one type of award, may not submit more than one application per award, and may not have been an award recipient of this particular award at the previous AHA BCVS Conferences.
How To Apply
The candidate must:
E-mail or mail the following material to the address below, postmarked on or before April 5, 2010.
- Curriculum vitae, including Social Security number (if a U.S. applicant) and bibliography.
- A copy of the abstract (if applicable), which can be easily printed from the Review My Work page on the abstract submitter
- A letter of recommendation by a mentor, section chief, or department chair, including the grounds for eligibility, key accomplishments to date (or, other forms of demonstrated excellence and recognition in the case of very junior trainees), assessment of relevant scientific attributes (intellectual curiosity, drive, critical thinking, problem-solving), and potential for future success as a competitive investigator.
Where to Apply via Mail or E-mail: (Subject Line: Application for BCVS Outreach Award)
American Heart Association
7272 Greenville Ave.
Dallas, TX 75231