The Sandra A. Daugherty Award for Excellence in Cardiovascular Disease or Hypertension Epidemiology
Applicants must submit abstracts to the Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2013 Scientific Sessions, scheduled for March 19-22, 2013 in New Orleans, LA.
- Abstract Deadline: Oct. 8, 2012
- Award Application Deadline: Oct. 8, 2012
The Sandra A. Daugherty Award for Excellence in Cardiovascular Disease or Hypertension Epidemiology is named for Dr. Sandra Daugherty in appreciation of her outstanding career as a clinical researcher and epidemiologist working in the areas of hypertension, chronic fatigue syndrome and women's health issues. The award is designed to recognize the role of junior faculty and to stimulate excellence in research by junior investigators.
Up to five finalists will be selected by the Council's Program Committee and will be named in the program. The finalists will be asked to submit a five-page manuscript or extended abstract. The winner will be chosen on the basis of his or her contribution to the work as well as the scientific merit, quality and originality of the manuscript submitted. The winner of the Sandra A. Daugherty Award for Excellence in Cardiovascular Disease or Hypertension Epidemiology will be announced during the conference. The awardee will receive a cash prize of $2,500 and a plaque. The other finalists will be awarded certificates of accomplishment.
- All applicants and their sponsors must be members of the AHA.
- Researchers in a junior faculty position, instructor or assistant professor or equivalent, are eligible for this award. Investigators with more than five full-time years of post-training research faculty experience are not eligible.
- The candidate must be the first and presenting author of the abstract.
- The work may not have been previously presented or published in any form.
- Winners are not eligible to reenter the competition in subsequent years.
- Applicants may submit only one abstract for consideration for the award.
- Winners of this award are not eligible to receive cash compensation from another award during the joint EPI/NPAM conference.
How To Apply
- Submit an abstract for the conference by 5 p.m. CDT, Oct. 8, 2012. The abstract should be based on independent research in the area of cardiovascular disease and/or hypertension.
- Select the award during the abstract submission process.
- Enter required information in the submission site
- By 5 p.m. CDT on Oct. 8, 2012, submit a signed letter of endorsement from your department chair, advisor, or other sponsor, certifying that you meet the eligibility criteria for this award. The letter must describe time spent in training and after completion of training to support your eligibility as a “junior investigator”.
Supported by a grant from The Sandra A. Daugherty Foundation.