Fellowship provides a mean to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education; and volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. International members may be nominated for International Fellowship and may demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their countries.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the following requirements at the time of application:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Have up-to-date dues.
- Have been a member of the AHA/ASA for at least 2-years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive.
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the ATVB Council is reserved for scientists and clinical professionals who diagnose and manage patients with arteriosclerosis or thrombotic disease. The candidate must be able to show evidence of scientific, clinical, and/or educational contributions by meeting the applicable criteria described below:
- Scientists must be making meritorious contributions to the fields of arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology, and have made significant contributions to the scientific literature as evidenced by at least four published articles in cardiovascular related peer reviewed journals.
- Clinical Professionals must be able to show evidence of training and experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- Significant current and/or past volunteer involvement and service to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service to the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities. International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.Examples of volunteer service include but is not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walks, galas, etc.
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Required Supporting Document
Please upload the following required documents to your application. The application cannot be succcessfully submitted until these documents are attached.
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae and complete bibliography,
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable.
- Clinical Professionals must also attach documentation of training.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected fellows in Connections, AHA journals, and my.americanheart.org web site.
The ATVB Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards Application System until:
- January 15 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time for the spring review cycle
- June 15 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time for the fall review cycle.
- Applications submitted after the deadlines will not be successfully submitted.
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print journal subscription [where applicable] up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and subscribing to the print journal) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and AHA/ASA involvement. Please follow the procedures below to apply for AHA Fellowship:
- Use your My.AmericanHeart for Professionals username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted through the online system.
- Attach all required documentation. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted through the online system:
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into my.americanheart.org with an active login
- On the navigation select Membership/Membership Directory
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Nominating Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Applicants will be advised of the status of their application via email in February (spring review cycle) and August (fall review cycle).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be acknowledged by the Council's Leadership and presented a FAHA certificate to commemorate this achievement at the Council’s Annual Dinner held during the ATVB Annual Conference (spring election) and the Annual Awards Luncheon/Business Meeting held during the AHA Scientific Sessions (fall election). Newly elected Fellows are strongly encouraged to attend these events.
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA/ASA Fellows elected through the ATVB Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level and a print subscription to the Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology journal. Failure to meet these requirements will result in rendering your FAHA status inactive.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293