- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
- Candidates must be able to show evidence of leadership in and contributions to cardiopulmonary, critical care, perioperative medicine and/or resuscitation through practice, research, education or care of patients Some examples include research, publishing and presenting high-impact cardiopulmonary and critical care science, outstanding mentorship, recognition through institutions or professional organizations, and leadership roles in public health organizations.
- Candidates must be able to show evidence of significant current and/or past service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. Volunteer leadership/service can be demonstrated through involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in HeartWalks, galas, etc.
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The 3CPR Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Spring Review Cycle: February 5 – 5:00 p.m.
- Fall Review Cycle: August 1 - 5:00 p.m.
- Applications entered after the deadlines cannot be successfully submitted
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal
subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your My.AmericanHeart.org username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Complete bibliography.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate the how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the propose; an electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph that may be used to recognize newly elected Fellows in Connections, AHA journals and My.AmericanHeart for Professionals web site.
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into my.americanheart.org with an active login
- On the navigation select Membership/Membership Directory
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the 3CPR Nominating Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application via email in late April (spring review cycle) and early October (fall review cycle).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be recognized at the 3CPR Annual Dinner held during the Scientific Sessions; newly elected Fellows are strongly encouraged to attend this event.
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/Astrakhans receive:
1. Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
2. Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
3. An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
4. Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
5. Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
6. Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
AHA Fellows are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:
Phone: (214) 706-1293